Monday, January 24, 2011

Christ Church Cathedral and the Synod Hall, Dublin


This was such a beautiful site. The cathedral itself, which is off to the right, and the Synod Hall, which is actually an add-on from the late 1800's, I believe. It was formerly a church, and was built around the tower which is much older. It now houses a permanent display on Medieval and Viking Dublin, called Dublinia. 
The actual picture isn't quite so whitish...the scanner really reflected off of the pastel which, in reality is a lot more muted. It get's the point across anyways, I think. It was raining...Hard! But, in typical Ireland fashion, it cleared up in about ten minutes and I was on my way. Here in Bella Coola, if it starts raining, it doesn't usually stop for two or three days (or weeks!)

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous spread! Love the mood you set and the details are simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thoroughly enjoying your travel sketchbook pages and especially your compositions. It will be a wonderful sketchbook for you to capture memories from trips before you started keeping a visual journal while traveling. I think I need to try to work from photos again and try to start a journal like this from many trips with only a written travel journal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sketch! I love all the detail and your lettering pulls it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job on this complex building. The lettering you chose for the heading adds a lot to the page, and the people walking towards the church is a nice touch too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You get the feeling of the day from your drawing and so much detail too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this journal. The details in your sketches are so fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely! What a wonderful travel journal you will have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beatiful pages. So well drawn - you captured the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the rainy effect you achieved. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely drawing - I know what you men about the white - it's a problem with photos too and even fiddling in P'shop doesn't seem to do much good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic drawing, now I am off to buy another moleskin to make my own travel sketchbook, you have inspired me. I just checked out your last few pages from the sketchbook project, they are great and I love that your kids added their own sketches, they are great, I don't know how you could have sent it off though. Its so personal

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)