Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dublin, Ireland ~ the Custom House, O'Connell Bridge and the Liffey River

(please click if you want to see it bigger)


This was basically the very first photo I took in Dublin. It features the Custom House, O'Connell Street Bridge, and of course, the Liffey River. My hostel, Abigail's, was also very near to there. 
Now, I do believe that I have become quite daft!! I came to the realization while working on this spread, which took two days! It takes me less time to do a full size painting sometimes:) Maybe I should ditch impressionism, and go for photorealism, which tends to better suit my nature, lol! I found myself having to add every single little detail...down to the single bricks in Abigail's...sigh. Anyone have any tips on drawing architecture more quickly? Lol! Anyways, it was fun, if challenging, and I'm looking forward to my next spread, and revisiting the memories that go along with it.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love this style of travel journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning - absolutely stunning! Well laid out, beautifully drawn, and great lettering. I do not do journal pages, just the art, and I will take an inordinate amount of time of a page. Why? I ask myself the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful, you must have put so much time into it. When were you in Dublin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Like Dan said, it's stunning! Fantastic drawings, awesome composition for the page. You make me want to go through my old photo souvenirs and maybe find inspiration there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, I've seen this when I was in a bus heading towards Galway... =) Such a beautiful city, and you definitely brought it out on your journal. The details are stunningly superb!
    Thanks for the comments too BTW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh this is lovely stuff. What great memories you will have to look back on. What kind of sketchbook is this? I love the darker paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry it took so long, but we get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, everyone. Idcoach, it's a Daler-Rowney, Cachet. It's called the Earthbound Recycled Sketchbook. I just love it. It opens flat, has 78 sheets of unlined paper, it's 100% recycled and Acid free...the paper stands up well to watercolor, and is fairly heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The page is gorgeous...well worth the time you put into it, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sketch is remarkable. I Love the way you've used the colour to push the background back and to add interest to the details in the foreground. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little work of art in its own right...details do become obsessive though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wonderful what you have done. If it takes time, it takes time. That's just the way it is. I can spend days on details on one drawing and be really slapdash with others. I sense you are more consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely amazing page! I love all the details! Well worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautifulll i love it! you should sell these really... if you don't already that is.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)