Monday, September 17, 2007

The Problem with Plastic



This is my new image for the night, it's called "Riches". I was fascinated with the way the light came through the marble and illuminated little flecks of red on the shell. It was pretty quick painting. A study, really.
Strangely enough, though, my blog tonight isn't about art, it's more along the family lines. I've been worried a lot about my kids lately. My son's got a high fever today,
and it really got me thinking about what kind of world they are going to grow up in. I keep hearing of all these cases of little babies and young children having cancer, and I find it terrifying. Why? Why so young? What are we doing that is making these little ones sick? I've come across a lot of things. I mean there's the obvious things, chemicals, bad air quality, etc...but what about closer to home, and I have found more and more articles about the dangers of plastic. Did you know that plastic coats the inside of tin cans, juice boxes, take-out cups, milk jugs. 90% of the things we buy at the supermarket have some form of plastic in, on or around them.
I found a lot of good information on a site called lifewithoutplastic.com. It explains a lot about the different forms of plastic, and how dangerous they are. Today I threw out all of my Teflon frying pans, baking dishes, and bagged up all of my tupperware. I am, as of now, making a resolution to not buy products that have plastic in them that will touch my food or drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)