Saturday, December 8, 2012

Rapscallion -- the shaggy pony

Rapscallion ~ 6" x 6" graphite on bristol
For sale on Daily Paintworks BID NOW

This is my newest little guy...I'm still on a horse kick. I don't think this one will end for a while. I'm having too much fun. I've named him after the website of the guy that took the picture. I fell in love with his photo, and emailed him for permission to use it. Have a look at his great work here.
I think I'll do a larger color version soon, too. I love the square format. 
While revisiting my past love of horses, I also had an urge to revisit my past love of graphite. 
For years I only drew. I was afraid of color. Afraid I'd be no good, and I spent hours and hours rendering dozens of pictures in pencil. I got quite a few commissions, and sold quite a few pieces, but then I tried painting...and it was so fast! It was like someone gave me wings! And I didn't suck, lol!
So for years, I haven't looked back. Why would I spend hours and hours labouring over something when I could be finished in a few days or hours? 
Well, as part of my artistic "healing" I guess you could call it, I've found solace in the simplicity of the pencil. Not much is needed for materials, you don't have to have a lot of room, and for me I don't have to think much. It's kind of like meditating.
So maybe I'll do some more. Mix it up a bit.
If you're at all curious about why I needed artistic "healing", I've written about it in my newsletter, along with a bit of a review on the book that helped me immensely. You can read it here.
That's it for now, folks. Have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)