Saturday, June 9, 2012

Little Diva ~ portrait of my daughter

Little Diva ~  8" x 10" oil on panel

It's wonderful, and amazing, how your children so completely steal your heart forever. I am in love with them like nothing else! I could paint them every day, they're so incredibly beautiful and inspiring to me. I know that I see them through mommy goggles, and I'm afraid that others won't see them like I do, but that doesn't matter, does it? They're mine:)
This is a portait of my beautiful daughter, Rhiannon. I've been meaning to paint this one for a long time. It is from a photo shoot I did when she was only two. I can't believe she's six now!  And she's still obsessed with leopard print, lol! 
I am captivated by her grown up expression, her "diva" look...she seems to be the  embodiment of some glamorous fifties movie star in this pic. She was getting impatient with me, with the camera, and on the verge of getting tearful, and that shows a bit in the painting. Not so much in the photo. Strange how that works sometimes...
I realized when I painted this, that I am meant to paint people.  I know, I paint a lot of other things, because of market demand, but when I'm working on someone's face is almost the only time I'm so completely absorbed and involved in a painting that it is hard to stop for anything. I go without lunch, I get irritated with bathroom interruptions...I just want to keep going until it's finished! 
This painting will soon be on its way to the Federation Gallery in Vancouver. I was recently contacted by them and asked to send them half a dozen paintings because someone who bought my work last year was looking for more! Yay! Wish me luck...


7 comments:

  1. Wow!! Just beautiful :) it's really hard to mix texture with the softness of a portrait, especially a child's portrait...but you've achieved it wonderfully!! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is Really nice, Hope the best for you, It is so hard in this business at times. I am glad for you...
    all best, Marcus Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent!! Just so impressed with all your paintings. Your daughter is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful portrait - it's beautiful (and so is Rhiannon!) Great that the gallery wants more too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful portrait. How could you ever part with it? She looks so real and alive. I can't make my people so far, look like who I want it to. If this one doesn't sell it's still bound to bring business your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful! What a gorgeous little girl you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all, for your beautiful comments!
    Timaree, I know!! It's really hard to part with ones of my kids, but the gallery asked for those specific pieces! I guess that's where my passion shows most. I guess I'll just have to paint more for myself to keep.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)