Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Orange Crush, vintage bottle still life

Orange Crush - 6" x 8" oil on canvas

About a week ago, I decided that I was going to ditch the photo references for a while and paint from life. It's something I've never done consistently, and I know that it's an imperative skill to learn, as it helps fill in the blanks for you when you are painting from photos. Photos lack depth, their range of values is short, and the colors are never true. 
So, this is an excercise. I'm not going to stop painting what I usually paint, but I'm going to try to fit in one of these little guys every day, as well.  My goal is "100 paintings in 100 days". I'm going to try to post one every week day (I take weekends off to hang with my kids.) And they will be up for auction, starting at a very reasonable price.
A few years ago, we were living on an old farm from the fifties and my husband found this vintage bottle buried in the dirt. I thought it would make a great still life subject! And to make the play on words, I added the orange. I placed the bottle and orange on a piece of glass in my black covered shadow box to create the reflection...

BID NOW



5 comments:

  1. Impressive painting and impressive goal! I'll have to RSS your blog to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the orange & the reflection. You've set yourself a real challenge but I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog...love your work and you have inspired me to work from life more. It IS important and something that I tend to put off. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Good for you for starting on doing 100 paintings. This is a great start! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through DPW and love your work! Good for you for setting a goal amidst the runny noses, interruptions and being a mum! I can totally relate to you and can't wait to see what happens in the next 100 days! Happy painting :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)