Thursday, March 10, 2011

The House of Noomst, Bella Coola


House of Noomst~oil on canvas $825.00

I've been very busy lately, painting, but not posting. I've secured a studio/gallery space at the local hotel and restaurant, and I've been going "to work" every day until my kids finish school. It's been great fun, meeting and talking to adults for a change:) And I've been keeping up the ebay cards, too, to pay for paint, haha! 
I didn't bother to do a work in progress for this one, it would have been too tedious, lol!
It ended up being tighter than I wanted--haha, the story of my life! But, I'm still happy with it. 

This is a 40+ year old pole on the Bella Coola Townsite. The building is now a youth center, but is scheduled to be torn down soon. It is unsafe, and the pole is rotted through at the base. I'm glad that I was able to paint it before it disappeared, as do so many old landmarks around here. The pole is a replica of one of the original poles on a chief's house of the original native village that was here before "white man" came. I think it's beautiful, and an important part of our heritage. I hope they can salvage at least the upper part and display it somewhere after the building is torn down.
I'll keep posting some of my new work over the next few days.
Bye for now!

1 comment:

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)