Sunday, August 22, 2010

Stonehenge postcard

 Stonehenge Sunrise 4"x6" postcard watercolor, pen and ink
I was so excited to see Stonehenge, finally. I've always felt drawn to all things pre-historic and ancient, and Stonehenge was no exception. I stayed in Bath, England, a beautiful city about an hour or so drive away. Bath is gorgeous and old in itself. It was founded by the Romans and was called Aque Sulis. The original Roman Baths are still there and are a popular tourist attraction. The buildings are all white stone, many of them 18th century. 
Anyways, back to the point...I made sure I booked a tour on a small bus, (Mad Max's tours, with a great, funny and charming guide) there were only eight of us, and the bus left really early. We ended up being the first group to arrive at Stonehenge, before the swarms of people that were usually there. I raced off the bus, pushed my way to the front of my fellow travellers, and managed to snap a few pictures with absolutely no people in them! Yay! Unfortunately, they have built a freeway right next to this amazing monument, and it's not possible to feel how it might have been to experience this in peace and quiet without a million swarming people, but it still holds some energy. At least I was in awe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)