Thursday, November 1, 2012

Andrew -- Pencil sketch in my Moleskin

Andrew in my moleskine

I'm taking a break from the grizzly bear painting for a few weeks. I need to not look at it for awhile, so I can see it with fresh eyes. Often putting a painting away for a while, and working on other things, allows me to get some distance from it and make better decisions once I go back. Things seem clearer, mistakes seem more obvious, and sometimes I think that the problems just work themselves out in my subconscious when I just give them some time.  The worst thing I've ever done to any painting is to keep on working when I'm beyond frustrated with it, and believe me, every painting goes through that stage! I've ruined a few paintings with my stubbornness and my dogged determination to finish at all costs. So not good! 
Going back to the plain old pencil, my first love, is like visiting an old friend. No surprises, just comfort. Knowing exactly what to expect...it's nice, and safe. I can work for hours, and my mind wanders and time disappears. It's easier for me than color, no huge decisions to make, nothing that will ruin the picture that can't be fixed without an eraser. 
The wonderful reference photo for this one is from JonathanR on Flickr. You can see it, and more of his beautiful photography, here.
I've also posted about it at my Facebook page, here. Don't forget to LIKE my page if you want to see more up to date work.
Cheers!



1 comment:

  1. Hi, I think it would have really come alive if you had toned in the background behind his head... then the tones on his face would have something to be related to. I don't use photos in my work but I think there's room for a lot of experimentation when doing so, eg. Francis Bacon.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)