Monday, October 24, 2011

Monk's Fishing House, Cong, Ireland

Monk's Fishing House - Cong, Ireland

Today has been a blessed "stay-at-home" day, doing only what "I want to do" stuff...(I love those days!) I went for a nice long walk with Captain Jack and D.O.G., and once again marvelled at how beautiful it is here, and how lucky I am to live in a place where I can walk for forty five minutes and hardly pass another house. The mists were hanging low today, but it made everything a little more magical, with the orange of the autumn leaves contrasting with the greyness everywhere else. 

I'd meant to use this as a thumbnail (only slightly larger) to plan a painting that I have envisioned, but it ended up being more of a fully realized sketch, and a pretty good value study, as well. It seems I get a bit fascinated with detail, and can't just stop at a study.
Anyways, this is from a shot I took while in Ireland in 2009. It is near Cong Abbey, and it is the Monk's Fishing House.  It is equipped with a hole in the floor, so that the monks could drop their nets and fish in the warmth and comfort of their little cottage with the fire blazing in the hearth.  It is thought that a line was connected from the fishing house to the monastery kitchen to alert the cook to fresh fish. is very, very old, assumed to be 15th century. There is more info here if you're interested.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, a very strong value study. I look forward to seeing it as a painting.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tahirih, It is a beautiful sketch as it is. I too, await the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tahirih, It is a beautiful sketch as it is. I too, await the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tahirih,
    Wow, this is a wonderful sketch/drawing.
    I am just the same, I find it hard not to get caught up in the details...I guess thats me - I love getting right down to the small things. But it makes it hard when I just want a quick sketch.
    This drawing stands on it's own so I can't wait to see the painting.
    Stew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sketch and very interesting information about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Me and my hubby are dying to go to Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating and wonderful sketch! Sometimes when it feels good, it is hard to stop at just a rough thumbnail sketch. Love the details and excellent work with the tones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to look at it is relaxing for me. I think this is a beautiful pencil sketch. Takes my breath away, really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for your lovely comments, all of you. It keeps me going!!
    I'm gessoing the panel for this one tonite!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)