Saturday, June 19, 2010

Nuxalk, Native American Art, Regalia, original oil painting

"Light Dancer" 9"x12" oil on canvas $225.00

This is my newest painting in the Potlatch Series. I'm not sure of the original name of the dance, but the original painting shows some great backlight coming in behind her head, hence the title. The photo is a bit dark, I'll try to upload a better picture soon. I usually don't like painting red. I doesn't work well alla prima...the method of direct painting without glazing. It's hard to lighten red without it becoming pink, but I liked painting the contrast of the red and black in this one. I used cad yellow light to lighten the highlights to an orange, which seemed to work with the warm light source. I found the end result to be striking. I also enjoyed the abstract quality of the robes of the other dancer that are visible in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)